Let’s not dance around it. All of us at Bomshell Beauty + Boudoir know that one of the best ways to promote your own body positivity is to embrace who you are, and love your body just as it is. Of course, our favorite way to do that is through one of our amazing glamour shoots, where you can have the full supermodel experience. Get dressed up with hair and makeup done for you, and take some time to enjoy how you look and feel.
However, we also know that not every day is a glamour shoot. There are days when family struggles, cramps, work trouble, distant friends, and just a bad hair day can get in the way of loving who you are. Here are a few tips from us to keep that Bomshell mindset front and center, even on the off days.
- Smile in the mirror! You’ve heard it a thousand times, we know. There is no need to smile in public if you’re not feeling like it. But take a moment for yourself in the morning through your scrutinized dress-up routine to acknowledge yourself as an amazing human being, and smile about it.
- Get rid of uncomfortable and dingy clothes. There’s no reason to keep around restrictive clothing that is uncomfortable when you don’t even like how it looks! Liberate yourself from extraneous reasons to be self-conscious and stick to the clothes you love: whether it’s that cozy t-shirt from summer camp ten years ago, some comfy sweats, or the trendiest new bralette and skinny jeans. If it doesn’t serve your comfort, fashion, or positive self-talk, then say goodbye!
- Follow some body positivity bloggers, on Instagram or other sites. Find someone whose writing you connect with and can glean some inspiration and comfort from. If you’re feeling particularly down, you can check up on them to see if they have any fresh insight to lift your spirits and shift your perspective back to loving yourself.
- Put yummy, healthy things into your body. Not a salad person? Get a taco salad! Who doesn’t like tacos? What we mean here is, choose something that is both good for you and delicious. Feed your body something that you can feel good about and that tastes great. Whether you splurge on a fresh fruit smoothie or get some protein in your system to prep for a long day ahead. Don’t do it to change your body. Do it because you love your beautiful Bomshell self.
- Ease up on the critical aspects of your day. Don’t get too down on yourself, and don’t take down others either. Remember, empowered women empower women. Empowered people empower people! Reel back the negative self talk with compliments, and choose to find the same in others as well.
Again, we know that not every day is a glamour shoot. For the rest of the time, loving yourself can be tough no matter who you are, size, shape, gender, you name it. We sincerely hope that one or all of these tips holds a golden nugget for you, to help you embrace body positivity every day of the week! And the next time you want to schedule a glamour shoot, come see us! Our team would be elated to get to know you and create an amazing experience for you. If you’d like to know more, you can contact us here. Until then, enjoy yourself!
At Bomshell Beauty + Boudoir, we want to make sure that you look and feel amazing whether or not you’re in front of our lenses. So, here are a few pointers on how to dress for fall colors. One of the simplest ways to rock your fall wardrobe is to coordinate all your clothes based on autumn color schemes. Golds, tans, browns, yellows, reds, greens, and deep purples! We know, it’s only August and fall has barely just begun! Even still, it’s good to be prepared for when you need to dig out that olive green sweater to go with your spiced pumpkin latte and go-to boots!
- Warm fall days early in the season call for lighter colors still. This is a great time to opt for sages, olive greens, and light tan colors. Keeping the light color tones of the summer and light fabrics, while still sticking to a fall theme is a great way to dress for those transitional days between summer and fall. Brighter fall palettes also create a lighter, more feminine look.
- Avoid pastel colors. Perhaps you’ve got a favorite trinket or necklace that is your signature piece, and it happens to be in lilac. If that’s the case, then go ahead and keep wearing it throughout the season. But, don’t feel the urge to match the rest of your outfit to your single pastel accessory. Stick to fall colors, and that little trinket from the summer will be a quiet, happy statement about you, rather than a jumble of conflicting colors and styles.
- Once the days become chilly, add layers and darken your color scheme. Deep burgundy, royal purple, and chocolate brown are cozy looking choices for your fall style. If you want to draw a contrast, layer dark colors over bright ones. A bright, burnt-orange shirt under a soft, dark red cardigan will highlight the contrast between the tones, and help you pull off that sassy autumn look.
- Patterns can announce the season just as much as hues. Think flannel, as in lumberjack shirts in the usual fall colors like mustard or other muted yellows. Feel free to venture outside of the standard flannel red and black Christmasy-looking patterns to nail that fall theme. Flannels come in extremely light and thick, woolen fabrics depending on where you buy, so grab one for the crisp fall mornings and a lighter fabric flannel for the warm summer-esque afternoons.
- Choose your fabrics and tops wisely. Earlier in the season, lighter fabrics and soft, breezy tops make sense. As the weather gets colder, blend more and more thick, heavy fabrics into your wardrobe. Dressing for the weather is a great way to keep in style because your outfit will make sense when you walk through the fall scenery, even if at first it feels a tad bulky or dark. Consider using higher necklines, long sleeves, and layer layer layer for depth and warmth!
- Finally, select some signature fall pieces for your wardrobe. Peacoats, bomber jackets, and fashion jackets are all great, sturdy options to finish off your fall style. Don’t be afraid to try on lots of coats until you find one you love, and it will last you the whole season through!
Follow these tips and keep an eye on the weather to blend in with the seasonal tones this fall! And, if you’re feeling particularly fashionable with all your newfound style and grace, see us at Bomshell Beauty + Boudoir! We love to do fall fashion shoots just as much as we love knee high boots and soft scarves! In the meantime, all our best to you as you revamp the glam of your fall wardrobe this year.
At Bomshell Beauty & Boudior we are convinced that every woman has a Bomshell style and personality in there, but in the summer heat, it can get sweaty and uncomfortable and some serious fashion tricks are needed to stay cool and feeling beautiful! Here are a few tips and tricks from the glamor team over at BBB to help you sizzle this summer!
Wear light-colored, loose-fitting clothes. Light colors absorb less heat, and loose fitting clothing won’t cling to you as soon as you start to sweat. Plus, it’s in summer fashion too! Long, light, wispy clothes and bright floppy sunhats are a-okay as soon as June hits, so don’t be afraid to take advantage of the opportunity to change up your style and stay cool!Pick breathable fabrics. Our favorite way to do this is to wear a tank top with a lacy or open-stitch shirt over the top, like the one pictured. The openness of the fabric will allow you to enjoy that coveted summer breeze to even more while keeping more coverage and style. Choose natural over synthetic fabrics is also a great way to get more breathable fabrics. Synthetic fabrics are great for winter and lining coats, skirts, and pants to keep in the heat. But during the summer that is the opposite of what you want! You don’t have to make your entire summer wardrobe out of tank tops to stay cool. Keep the t-shirt, 3/4 sleeve, and long sleeve coverage as long as the fabric is natural and light.
Keep the designs simple. Fancy clothing with lots of beading, designs, embroidery, or layers will weigh down and insulate you. Instead, opt for simple simpler clothes that aren’t as weighed down and accessorize somewhere else instead, like with earrings, bracelets, or small pendants to add something to your style that doesn’t add to the temperature. There are tons of hairstyles on Pinterest and beyond to keep your hair off your next during the summer. Try some out! It’ll keep your hair cleaner and your neck cooler when you’re out in the sun.
After just one wear, clothes can get sweaty, dirty, and gross during the summer. Even if your winter norm is to re-wear a couple times, it’s a good idea to abandon that habit during the summer. Dirty, wet clothes will hold in even more heat. Bite the bullet and just wash clothes again after one use, sweaty clothes are not worth it.
Adjust your purses for the season too! Backpacks and bulky purses will hold heat in next you, leading to sweaty backs and more work. Instead, treat yourself to a small handheld or cross-body strap purse.
It may seem counterintuitive, but wear socks and shoes rather than sandals or flip flops. In sandals, your feet can get hotter, and more sweaty and dirty while you’re out and about. But socks will cool your feet and keep them clean by absorbing more of the sweat, and a good pair of kicks will keep dirt and grime off your toes! Also, invest in a couple pairs of shoes that are a size or a size and a half larger than your regular size. IF you have feet that tend to swell with heat or lots of outdoor activity, the extra room in your shoes will make a big difference for comfort!
We hope you get to enjoy this summer and love your look while doing it! If you want to treat yourself to a special occasion where you can get really dressed up and have amazing portraits to document it, contact us at Bomshell Beauty and Boudoir! In the meantime, stay beautiful! 🙂
Pictured above is Caitlyn Bom of Bomshell & Boudoir and CB Fine Art on her recent vacation proving that in fact, vacation photos can be awesome. They don’t have to be cringe-worthy or awkward if you know how to pose for them. To help on your next vacation, here are a few tips from all of us at Bomshell Beauty & Boudoir on how to look amazing on vacation!
- Show off the landmarks, whether it’s the ocean, the Eiffel Tower, or your favorite ride in Disneyland. Our suggestion is to take those pictures, but do so creatively! You could hold up leaning tower of Pisa like most tourists do, or you could use that same perspective trick to lean against or jump on top of it! Use your imagination to do something fun and memorable every chance you get.
- Throw things around you! Leaves, sparkles, splashing, or confetti, throw something in the air around you and spin! This is a great way to decorate the photo with something reminiscent of where you are.
- Work for it. Climb that tree, balance on that ledge, jump in the water, and slide down the hill! Action and adventure in motion are awesome for pictures, and having a snapshot will take you right back to the exhilaration you felt in that moment.
- Take pictures from an angle above you, and look up! Another way variation is to take a photo of you looking up at something like the tops of the trees or get some balloons to hold and look at. This is just another way to slim out your pictures and incorporate your scenery.
- Stand up, shoulders back, laugh, relax! Posture is so important. Think about what a wonderful time you’re having and give yourself a reason to laugh out loud! It will change your posture and you’ll look more natural in the photo.
There are a few of our tips for taking fun pictures during vacation. If you’re looking to have more professional photography done as well, please contact us at Bomshell Beauty & Boudoir anytime. We’ll be happy to hear from you!
When was the last time you had a portrait of yourself? I don’t know about you, but my mother is constantly nagging me to take a nice picture of myself and send it to her. Does your mom have an insatiable appetite for family photos like mine does?
For Mother’s Day, give mom exactly what she’s been asking for. Have a portrait session at Bomshell Beauty & Boudoir, and give her a beautiful photograph she can proudly show off to all her friends. It’s more permanent than flowers. Trust me.
Here’s what you can expect when you schedule your photo session with Bomshell Beauty + Boudoir:
- Choose either a VIP Session with unlimited outfits (usually 4 – 5 outfits) or a Mini Session with 1 – 2 outfits.
- Photo-finish quality hair and makeup are included in each package price. This professionally applied makeup will make your skin look fantastic under the lights and camera.
- We are women, too. We understand how to play off your best features and take attention away from the areas you’re not so happy with.
- Our number one goal is to make you comfortable so your supermodel self can come out of her shell. The results are transforming and nothing short of amazing!
- You will be able to see your photo shoot imagery the same day as your session. That’s a huge part of what makes us unique, for most photography studios do not offer same day photo selection.
- When we use touch-up software, we don’t go so crazy with it you won’t recognize yourself. Size A cup suddenly going to a size C cup? You won’t see that here. We touch-up your images with a healthy dose of respect for your natural, inner beauty.
- Expect to feel pampered. Slow down and enjoy the Bomshell process. Use your Bomshell time to take a well-deserved break from the stresses of work and any chaos in your life. You deserve it.
- Do it for you, even if you’re giving it as a gift to Mom. If you need to “hide” the gift expense from the person you’re giving it to, that can be arranged. Just ask.
Seriously, a Bomshell portrait of you is going to be very well received by your mother on Mother’s Day. The thing is, you don’t want to wait until the last minute, because we only have a few sessions remaining before Mother’s Day takes place on Sunday, May 14th. Call 315-565-1799 today to book your session. Your mother will be so glad you did!
April is a notable month for women. We recently celebrated Equal Pay Day on April 4th, which is the symbolic day dedicated to raising awareness of the gender pay gap. April is also Women’s History Month, and women’s empowerment is what it’s all about. Look at the capable women who worked for NASA back in the 1960s whose stories we discovered in the movie, “Hidden Figures”. Look at all the empowered women who are making big contributions to science, mathematics, auto repair, technology, sports, comedy, activism, and politics. Ladies, we’ve got the power. To celebrate, let’s all be Bomshells.
Recently, we’ve read several articles that talk about raising strong and confident daughters. We feel that when a mother is confident and exhibits self-love, that leaves an indelible impression on her children, both female and male. Self-care and confidence go hand in hand. When you take good care of yourself, you are better equipped to take care of others. Firefighters know this, doctors know this, and so should you.
Our Bomshell clients are empowered women. They appreciate their bodies. They recognize how far they have come in their life’s journey. Many of them are highly successful and call the shots both at work and home. We feel that these strong, mature, women are among the most beautiful. All those years of laughter and wisdom have etched beautiful smile lines on their faces. They look and feel younger than their years. Our Bomshells have grown to embrace their sexuality, accept their natural beauty, count their blessings, and continue to build upon their assets.
So, how do we, as women, raise daughters who will also step into their power? How should we encourage them to know their self worth, and that they deserve good things?
We have a suggestion. Show your daughters how they, too, can become Bomshells.
Mother’s Day is coming up, and April would be an ideal time to have a mother + daughter portrait session. When you and your daughter(s) arrive for your portrait session, be ready to be pampered and empowered. Your makeup will be professionally done, and you will all look fabulous. Throughout the process, from foundation to mascara to hair styling, you will be able to spend valuable time with your loved ones. Along with having great sentimental value, a mother-daughter photo session is tremendous fun! You will get some much-needed girl time.
We empower our Bomshells to feel more confident about themselves. Let’s show your daughters how to step into their own power and take on the world, one photo at a time. It’s a memorable way to help your daughters let their lights shine for all the world to see.
To schedule your mother-daughter portrait session, call Bomshell Beauty + Boudoir at (315) 299-7167. Embrace what it means to be a strong woman. Dare to be a Bomshell.
The memories we create with our family last forever. We will always cherish the special moments we share with our loved ones. However, sometimes, the curse of time deteriorates the quality of our memories. The small details, such as the contrast of the brilliant red of your daughter’s scarf against the white snow, are buried deep within our mind and unable to be retrieved.
A portrait session with your family freezes the special moment in time. The details of the memory are captured in a photograph. At Bomshell Beauty + Boudoir, we don’t just take a picture. We capture the essence of your family. Your daughter’s precocity or your son’s bursting energy are forever frozen in a collection of portraits from Bomshell Beauty + Boudoir.
Family portrait sessions are also known to boost your child’s self-esteem. Judy Weiser, a psychologist, studies the effects of taking family portraits on children’s development. She concludes that when a child is involved in a family portrait, they feel apart of the family. “I belong here. This is where I come from,” is what your daughter or son typically says to themselves. They recognize and embrace the uniqueness of their own family and their story. A portrait session binds a family together while allowing each family member to feel cherished.
Photography at Bomshell Beauty + Boudoir is a family affair. Caitlyn Bom’s father’s passion was photography, and he had beautiful photographs decorating his office as she was growing up. As Caitlyn was growing up, her father, Kevin, thought she was dedicating too much of her attention on typical teenage things, such as school, working, and boyfriends. He suggested photography. Photography became her release and escape, and she is still thankful to him for sharing his passion with her.
Family portraits are an incredible way to spend time with your loved ones, celebrate the connection you share, and to encapsulate a cherished memory. To learn more about a family portrait session or to book an appointment, call Bomshell Beauty + Boudoir at (315) 299-7167.
We strive to have our clients celebrate their beauty, and essentially, embrace the skin they are in. One of the most sacred loves is between a mother and her daughter. At Bomshell Beauty + Boudoir, we want to capture this incredible and beautiful bond on camera. A mother and daughter portrait session is an excellent opportunity for you and your daughter to get even closer while allowing us to capture and express the special bond you two share.
When you and your daughter arrive for your portrait session, be ready for your pampering to begin. Your makeup will be professionally done, and you will look and feel absolutely radiant. Throughout the process, from foundation to mascara to hair styling, you will be able to spend valuable time with your loved one. Also, who doesn’t love a little pampering?
We believe the time we spend with our loved ones is priceless. We should cherish every moment we are able to spend with someone we truly care about. At Bomshell, this wonderful experience, a mother-daughter portrait session, is able to be frozen in time. Because of these photographs, you easily and always can be transported back to this special day, no matter the time or place.
Along with having great sentimental value, a mother-daughter shoot is simply fun! You will have your makeup done and get some much-needed girl time. We empower our clients to feel confident about themselves. Let’s uncover your superpower, one photo at a time. We want you and your daughter to leave us feeling ready to take on the world!
To learn more about a mother-daughter portrait session or to book an appointment, call Bomshell Beauty + Boudoir at (315) 299-7167.
This is a post that has been on my mind for a while. As I am moving into my 8th year of photographing women, there are a lot of things I have heard over and over again from clients as well as things I hear from fellow photographers. My hopes for this post is to get clients and photographers on the same page about what to expect from Boudoir!
1. Its ok to be nervous. In fact, I welcome it! Nerves mean you are outside your comfort zone. Guess where all the fun stuff happens in life? That’s right – outside your comfort zone!! That’s where growth and self-discovery thrive. Embrace the nerves, I promise they won’t last long.
2. We aren’t judging (or even really looking) at your body. I know that sounds crazy, but as photographers – that is not our job. Our job is to master posing, light, emotion, etc… So yes although we SEE you, we aren’t picking you apart. We are actually always aiming to capture the best of you and therefore, that is what we see.
3. On that note, you should know – Both Men and Women make great photographers! Yes, there are some perverts out there, however, some of the best boudoir photographers I have seen are Men. Men have the ability to see women a different way that Women can. It’s not that one way is wrong or right. They are just different. When searching for a photographer, keep in mind which would make you feel more comfortable. Want to bring a friend to the shoot to make you feel better? Great! Always make sure you bring a friend who won’t be insulted when you throw her out though. A true professional will never make you feel uncomfortable – so you might not need her as much as you think.
4. You don’t have to lose 5 or 10 pounds to book a shoot. Here’s a tip ladies -Wardrobe is key!! With the proper wardrobe, you are giving your photographer the ability to pose you any way they would like. By posing you properly, we will always make you look as good as you look in real life, if not better! And do yourself a favor – Get yourself measured!! Most women are wearing the wrong bra size. The proper bra size makes you look firmer, trimmer and way hotter. (Oh and PS… your period isn’t an excuse to cancel a shoot – a little bloat doesn’t really show on camera.)
5. No, we can’t just photoshop that out. Ok yes, there are SOME things we can photoshop out – like that little tattoo you got one drunk night when you were 18. Maybe that can easily go, but if it covers your whole back, maybe not. Talk to your photographer about their photoshop policies before you book them!
6. The more it hurts the better it looks. A lot of photographers bill a photo shoot as a fun sexy day in which you will be pampered. Almost like a spa day. I am here to tell you that even though you WILL feel amazing, it is a lot of work. We are going to pose you and make you wear uncomfortable shoes and wardrobe. Your back will be sore, you may have blisters on your feet… but trust me when I tell you it’s worth it. Even though it might feel weird, trust us when we pose you. Our expertise is what you are paying for! You will have a new found appreciation for models.
7. Even though you say “it’s for him”, it’s also for you. Most women book shoots as a gift for someone else. The truth is, the experience is for you! The photos are the souvenir. Embrace the experience. The feelings that come along with it. Look back at the photos and remember how incredible you felt that day. You deserve the gift too.
8. It sucks that I can’t share your photos. I am going to take really gorgeous images of you, and it SUCKS that I can’t share them. I mean how can I build my business if I can’t share my work? It’s not easy – trust me. That said, I will still respect your privacy. If you don’t sign a model release (some clients still do), I will not share your photos without your permission and I will not hold it against you. Your happiness is the most important thing in the world to me. That said, we love when you tell others how awesome we are. Boudoir is built on referrals and trust. If you love and trust us, please tell someone!
9. Size or age doesn’t matter. We don’t care if you are a size 2 or a size 22. 25 years old or 85 years old. For me, I want all women to celebrate their unique femininity shamelessly. That truly means ALL women. Don’t put boundaries on yourself just because you “think” it’s not for you. That is just your brain lying to you.
10. Be prepared, this could be a life changer. You think you are booking a photo shoot for fun or a gift. And you are! However, there is often the most incredible side effect to this experience. Often women will realize their potential. Their secret powers. Their true worth. They will get in touch with feelings they repressed and forgot about a long time ago. These feelings open up their minds and worlds. It gives them power to LIVE. To go after what they want in life. To get out of bad relationships, to apply for new jobs, to travel, to fall in love… The possibilities are endless. This is not just a photo shoot. It’s a life experience.
I hope this will shed some light on how fun and life changing boudoir can be! Please make sure to share with your friends… and take the leap – it’s SO worth it!
I was so nervous walking through the mall, through hoards of people on a Sunday afternoon. I was practically fighting traffic to get to something that made me so nervous. I almost turned around when we got to the entrance of the store, but Michael, the boyfriend, was right behind me, I would have looked really silly had I just stopped and turned around. Dramatic even. I remember feeling like I was in a daze as I stared at the shelves and shelves of eyewear. I need glasses. And they are going to cover up what has been my best feature, my most complimented feature, my whole life. They have been my security blanket when it comes to my own personal beauty standards. I’m curious though, what has been your most complimented feature? What has been your pride and joy?
Let’s take a second and really think about your beauty. Your mind just went somewhere else though, didn’t it? Did you start thinking about features that you wish you didn’t have? Insecurities. “Well, I get complimented on my eyes, but my teeth are crooked”. Yeah, I’ve been there. I think that’s why this video means so much to me. That is why I want to share this with you.
We have a tendency to think about how we could possibly look better. I’m in an industry where photo shop and physical augmentations are really the hot topics. My studio is full of the words “retouch” and “alter”. Take a few minutes and watch this though. I want to hear what you think about it, honestly! I cry every time I watch it (thanks Dove!) Does this video speak to you the same way it does to me? Email me back and let me know